M. W. Brother Harry Edgar Schramm was born at Warner, Washington County, Ohio, February 14, 1897. He attended the public schools, graduating from high school at Cambridge, Ohio, as Salutatorian of his class. He graduated from Marietta College in 1918. During his junior and senior years he was instructor in freshman mathematics, plane surveying, and mechanical drawing at Marietta College. He was a member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity. During his college course he spent one summer in special work at the University of Michigan.
He entered the employ of The Caskey-Dupree Company in January of 1918. In April 1918, the Ordnance Department of the Federal Government sent him to Jackson, Michigan, as an inspector of hand grenades and shells. He remained there until his enlistment in the Naval Reserves on July 8, 1918, and was stationed at Great Lakes Naval Training Station until January 25, 1919. He was discharged from the Navy September 30, 1921. He was a member of Marietta Post No. 64 of the American Legion.
He served for a period of nine months as Field Secretary of Marietta College. He was employed by the Buckeye Pipe Line Company from September 1919, to March 1928, since which time he served as managing secretary of The Chamber of Commerce of Marietta, Ohio, and the Washington County Automobile Association.
On December 30, 1919, he was united in marriage with Rowena Meyer, of Marietta, Ohio, to which union was born one child.
He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Marietta, Ohio, and served as an elder for fourteen years.
He was a charter member of the Marietta Kiwanis Club, serving as President of the Club, and Lieutenant Governor of his division.
As an active participant in all civic programs he gave freely of his time and strength to the building of his community, He was a member of Marietta Advertising Club; the Ohio Commercial Secretaries Association; Marietta Chamber of Commerce, and the Ohio Chamber of Commerce. He was Secretary of the Marietta Live Stock Market, Inc, and Secretary-Treasurer of the Carsolac Corporation.
He was a member of the Ohio War History Commission and active in the Marietta Citizens Defense Corps.
Initiated in American Union Lodge No.1 on October 12, 1919, passed November 17, 1919, and Raised December 15, 1919, Installed Worshipful Master December 17, 1930, and served one year.
Received the Mark Master's Degree in American Union Chapter No.1 on October 11, 1910, Past Master's Degree, October 29, 1920; Most Excellent Master Degree, October 29, 1920; Royal Arch Mason, November 4, 1920. Served as Excellent High Priest in 1928. Received the Royal and Se1ect Master Degrees in Marietta Council No. 78, R. & S. M. on February 24, 1922; Super Excellent Master's Degree, March 31, 1922. Elected Illustrious Master June 27, 1941. Received the Degree of the Silver Trowel September 29, 1941. Received the Red Cross and Malta Degrees in Marietta Commandery No. 50, March 2, 1923; Order of the Temple, March 19, 1923. Elected Commander June 6, 1929.
He received the degrees of Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Valley of Cincinnati, with the Spring Class of 1935, the Ohio Consistory degrees being conferred on April 26, 1935.
Initiated in Marietta Chapter No. 59, Order of the Eastern Star, September 15, 1942.
In the Grand lodge of Ohio he was appointed District Lecturer for the Seventeenth Masonic District, October 1934. Appointed Junior Grand Deacon, October 1935; Senior Grand Deacon, October 1936; Grand Marshal, October 1937; Grand Orator, October 1938. Elected Junior Grand Warden, October 1939; Senior Grand Warden, October 1940; Deputy Grand Master, October 1941, and Grand Master, October 1942.
M. W. Brother Schramm departed this life on September 18, 1956 at Marietta, Ohio. His Body is interred in the Oak Grove Cemetery, Marietta, Ohio.