1925 - Earle E. Stewart
M. W. Brother Stewart was born August 12, 1870, on a farm near Clifton, Clark County, Ohio. His father, Thomas E, Stewart, was a son of John Templeton Stewart, who came to Clark County in 1806 from Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. His mother's family of Marshalls came to Clark County in 1815 from Frederick County, Virginia, On November 23, 1909, he married Miss Emma Gray, of Ironton, Ohio. Mrs., Stewart died on March 23, 1937, to this marriage a daughter was born.
M. W. Brother Stewart's boyhood days were spent on his father's farm. He attended school in Clifton, graduating from high school there in 1887; He was a student at Wittenberg College, Springfield, Ohio, in 1889 and 1890, and afterwards taught school. He attended Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio; receiving the degree of A. B. in 1893, and A. M. in 1894.
He graduated from the Ohio State University Law School in 1895, with the degree of L. L.D. and was admitted to the practice of law by the Supreme Court of Ohio that year and also by the Supreme Court of the United States in 1907.
While living in Springfield, he was elected and served five years in the Ohio House as a representative from Clark County. Following his marriage in 1909, he moved to Ironton, Ohio. He immediately took up the practice of law there, became interested in its business affairs, and was a factor in its civic and political life, serving on the City Charter Commission in 1914; was mayor in 1921, and was representative from Lawrence County in the Ohio Legislature in 1924.
He was a member of the Rotary Club and the Bellefontaine Country Club. He was also a member of the Presbyterian Church.
M. W. Brother Stewart was initiated an Entered Apprentice on May 9, 1912, passed to the degree of Fellowcraft on July 16, 1912 and raised to the Sublime degree of Master Mason July 30, 1912 in Lawrence Lodge No. 198, F. & A. M., Ironton, Ohio. He served as Junior Deacon, Junior Warden, Senior Warden, and was Worshipful Master in 1917-1918. He was elected a Trustee in 1917, 1920, and 1923. He was exalted in LaGrange Chapter No. 68, R. A. M., November 15, 1912; he served as High Priest in 1917-1918. He received the Order of High Priesthood during the Convocation of the Grand Chapter of Ohio, in Youngstown, October 1920.
He was created a Royal and Select Master, May 27, 1913, and greeted as Super-Excellent Master, January 26, 1920, in the Ohio Council No. 92. He served as Thrice Illustrious Master in 1920. He was knighted in Ironton Commandery No. 45, K. T. He served as Sword Bearer, Warden, Junior Warden, and Generalissimo. He was Eminent Commander in 1921-1922.
He was a member of Enoch Lodge of Perfection, Franklin Council, Princes of Jerusalem, Columbus Chapter Rose Croix, and Scioto Consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Columbus. He was made an Honorary 33rd degree member of the Supreme Council Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, in 1927.
He became a member of Aladdin Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., Columbus, Ohio, December 5, 1920.
M. W. Brother Stewart served four consecutive years as District Lecturer of the Twelfth Masonic District, receiving his first appointment in November 1917. He was elected Junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge in 1922; Senior Grand Warden in 1923; Deputy Grand Master in 1924; and M. W. Grand Master in 1925.
On the morning of December 13, 1947, Bro. Stewart passed on to his reward and his body was laid to rest in beautiful Woodland Cemetery, Section 7, Lot 50, Ironton, Ohio.