1941 - Charles Bertram Hoffman
M. W. Brother Charles B. Hoffman was born in Chicago, Illinois, on November 1, 1889, the son of John W. Hoffman and Emilie Meissel Hoffman. His parents moved to Terre Haute, Indiana, when he was eight years of age. He obtained his grade school, high school and business-college education there.
He served four years, from 1913 to 1917, in the U. S. Navy during World War1; he was a civilian employee of the U. S. Army Ordnance Department, assigned to the Inspection Division at the Kelsey Wheel Company in Detroit, Michigan.
On August 17, 19I6, he was united in marriage to Miss Helen Christopher at Terre Haute, Indiana. Two daughters blessed this union.
In I9I9 he became a resident of Dayton, Ohio, where he was associated with the Dayton Blue Print Company as Secretary-Treasurer, and General Manager.
M. W. Brother Hoffman resided in the country near Tipp City, Ohio, not far from Dayton, where he was a member of the Tipp City Methodist Church. All of his business connections being In Dayton, he was a member of the Dayton Kiwanis Club, Dayton Chamber of Commerce; Retail Merchants Association, and International Association of Blue Printers.
M. W. Brother Hoffman was initiated an Entered Apprentice on January 5. 1916, passed to the Degree of Fellowcraft on January 19, 1916, Raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason on January 16, 1916, all in Naval Lodge No. 184, A. F. & A. M., in Kittery, Maine. He affiliated with Euclid Lodge No. 573, F. & A. M., Terre Haute, Indiana, May 7, 1918, and dimitted there-from December 7, 1920. He affiliated with Conservancy Lodge No. 661, F. & A. M. Dayton, Ohio, December 17. 1920. He served as its Worshipful Master from November 2, 1927 to November 1928. He was an Honorary Member of St. Johns Lodge No. 13, Stillwater Lodge No. 616, Aero Lodge No. 648, and Miami Valley Lodge No. 660, of Dayton, Ohio.
He received his Royal Arch Degrees in Unity Chapter No. 32, R. A. M., South Berwick, Maine October 5, I9I6. He became a member of Victory Chapter No. 210, R. A. M., Dayton, Ohio, and served as its High Priest in 1937-1938. He received the Order of High Priesthood at Columbus, in October 1938.
He received the Degrees of Royal and Select Master and Super Excellent Master in Reese Council No.9, R. & S. M., Dayton, Ohio. He was knighted in St. Amand Commandery No. 20, K. T., Kennebunkport, Maine, February 2, 1917 and later became a member of Reed Commandery No. 6 Dayton, Ohio, and served as Eminent Commander in 1937-1938.
In the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, he received his degrees in Gabriel Lodge Perfection, Dayton, Ohio, April 10, 1928; Miami Council Princes of Jerusalem, April 11, 1928, Dayton Chapter Rose Croix, April 12, 1928; and the Consistory degrees in Dayton Consistory, April 13, 1928. He was crowned an Honorary Member of the Supreme Council, 33°, at Cincinnati, Ohio, September 25, 1940. He served as Most Wise Master of Dayton Chapter Rose Croix from May 27, 1938, to May 23, 1941. He was Secretary of the Scottish Rite Bodies of the Valley of Dayton.
In the Grand Lodge of Ohio, he served as District Lecturer from November 1933, to October 1935. He was appointed Senior Grand Deacon in 1935, Grand Marshal, 1936, Grand Orator, 1937. He was elected Junior Grand Warden in 1938, Senior Grand Warden, 1939; Deputy Grand Master, 1940, and Grand Master, October 16, 1941.
M. W. Brother Hoffman departed this life, September 6, 1987, while a resident of, The Otterbein Home, Lebanon, Ohio. The funeral services were held at the Routsong Funeral Home, Dayton, Ohio on September 10, 1987, internment was in Memorial Park Cemetery, Section 5, Lot 250, Dayton, Ohio.