Skip to main content

1933 – Simeon Nash

M. W. Brother Simeon Nash was born July 18, 1881, at Zanesville, Ohio, being the son of Simeon Nash, Jr., and Minerva Nye Nash. His grandfather, Judge Simeon Nash, of an old New England family, came from Massachusetts to Gallipolis, Ohio, about 1830, serving on the bench in Southern Ohio for many years. His mother was a descendant of Colonel Ichabod Nye and Minerva Tupper, daughter of General Benjamin Tupper, both being of the Ohio Company. Both were members of American Union Lodge No.1, General Tupper (then a Past Master), sitting as Senior Warden when the Lodge first convened at Marietta, June 28, 1790. M. W. Brother Nash’s father, Simeon Nash, Jr., entered the practice of law at Gallipolis, Ohio, but while the son was still a child the father died, the mother returning in 1883 to her father’s home at Zanesville, Ohio, where M. W. Brother Nash attended Putnam Military Academy; later in 1896 he attended North High School, Columbus, Ohio; entered Ohio State University in 1897 and was graduated with the degree of A. B. in 1901; and was graduated from the law school of Ohio State University with the degree of L. L. B. in 1904.

He was admitted to the Bar of Ohio in June, 1904, and at once entered the practice of law at Columbus, Ohio, with the firm of Merrick and Williams; was associated successively with the firms of Williams and Taylor; Williams, Taylor and Pretzman; Williams, Williams, Taylor and Nash; Williams and Nash; and the firm of Williams, Nash, Hayes and Thomas.

M. W. Brother Nash never held public office. He gave the cause of National Defense his spare time. In 1904 he enlisted as a private in First Squadron of Cavalry, Ohio National Guard; he served through all grades, both non-commissioned and commissioned. As Captain he commanded Troop B, First Ohio Cavalry, on the Mexican border in 1916. He served overseas in World War I as Lieutenant Colonel, 136th Field Artillery, 37th Division; after World War I he remained in the Organized Reserve until he retired as Colonel, 323rd Field Artillery, 83rd Division, Organized Reserve.

He married Myrtle R. Thornton in 1912. He and Mrs. Nash had three children, a daughter and two sons. They were members of the Central Presbyterian Church, Columbus, Ohio, he having been secretary of the Board of Trustees for many years. Some years after Mrs. Nash’s untimely and accidental death, he was married, on June 1, 1940, to Louise B. Knapp.

M. W. Brother Simeon Nash was made an Entered Apprentice in Columbus Lodge No. 30, Columbus, Ohio, June 26, 1906; passed to the degree of Fellow Craft, November 13, 1906; and raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason April 30, 1907 He served as Master of Columbus Lodge, No. 30, during the year 1913-1914.

He was Exalted in Ohio Chapter, No. 12, December 11, 1913; Advanced in Columbus Council, No.8, April 31, 1914; Knighted in Mt. Vernon Commandery, No.1, January 31, 1924.

He received his Scottish Rite Degrees at Columbus, Ohio, in Scioto Consistory, August 19, 1917, in the War Class. He was made a member of Aladdin Temple, A. A .O. N. M. S., May 2, 1919, and Achbar Grotto, M. O. V. P. E. R. in April 1913. He was a charter member and early President of the National Sojourners Chapter 10 of Columbus.

After being absent on the Mexican border and in the World War from June 1916, until June 1919, he was appointed District Lecturer of the Fourteenth Masonic District in October 1923, and served for three years from October 1923, to October 1926. In the Grand Lodge of F. & A. M. of Ohio he was appointed and served as Junior Grand Deacon in the year 1926-1927; as Senior Grand Deacon in the years 1927-1928-1929; was elected and served as Junior Grand Warden in the year 1929-1930; as Senior Grand Warden in the year 1930-1931; and as Deputy Grand Master in the year 1931-1932; being elected Grand Master October 20, 1932.

As Grand Master he represented the Grand Lodge of Ohio at the dedication at London, England of “The Masonic Peace Memorial TempIe” on June 17, 1933. (The Temple was erected on the site of the home of the Grand Lodge of England since its beginning in 1717 and was one of the most magnificent Masonic buildings of its time.)

On September 23, 1933, Grand Master Nash presided at the cornerstone ceremonies for the “new” U.S. Post Office on Marconi Boulevard in Columbus, and on October 8, 1933, for the Masonic Temple in London, Ohio.

Grand Master Nash was a man of vision. He was one of the early sponsors and promoters of “Masonic Education in Ohio”. He urged implementation of the $10,000.00 Grand Charity Fund which was the beginning of our present Grand Masters Emergency Fund of $10,000.00. He initiated the present system for Convocation of Actual Past Masters. He encouraged Ohio support and participation in the George Washington National Masonic Memorial at a time when the need was great. He supported youth by granting permission for the DeMolay’s to meet in undedicated portions of our Temples.

He was among the first to suggest preservation of the Temple of New England Lodge No.4.

As Grand Master he appointed a ‘Brotherly Love Committee’ during the great depression which arranged installment payments for Brothers who were unable to pay their dues.

Truly he exhibited the tenets of Free Masonry of Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth.

In later years, having discontinued the practice of Law, he served as Secretary-Treasurer of the Utah Mining Company, and was one of Franklin County’s most reliable abstractors. He was a familiar figure around the Court House until a few months before his death. M. W. Brother Nash departed this life, May 5, 1975; interment was in Eastlawn Cemetery, Section 2, Lot 73, Columbus, Ohio.