M. W. Brother H. Ray Evans was born April 17, 1932 in Middlesboro, Kentucky, the second son of Herman and Mildred (Kuykendall) Evans. He attended Middlesboro Public Schools. Upon graduation, Brother Evans entered the United States Air Force during the time of the Korean conflict from 1951 to 1955, serving four years with the 82nd Air Rescue Squadron in the Air Evacuation Division.
On December 23, 1952, H. Ray Evans married the former Betty J. Cochran of Cincinnati Ohio. They have three grown children, Kimberly Ann Halloran, Jeana Rae and James Raymond Evans. Brother Evans and Betty are the proud grandparents of five-year-old Timothy Michael Halloran, affectionately known as “My Buddy.”
Mr. and Mrs. Evans are members of the Pilgrim Presbyterian Church and have enjoyed serving in most offices and committees of this church.
Brother Evans joined the Cincinnati Park Police Division in December of 1957. He is a graduate of the Cincinnati Police Academy, Northwestern University For Law Enforcement, Traffic and Administration, and holds an Associate Degree in Police Science from the University of Cincinnati.
During his twenty-seven plus years with the Cincinnati Police Department, Brother Evans received sixteen letters of commendation and was promoted to the rank of Assistant Commander.
In 1985, H. Ray Evans retired from the Cincinnati Police Department to pursue his present vocation as Executive Secretary of the Valley of Cincinnati, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. Ray has remained active in community affairs and holds a life membership with the Fraternal Order of Police.
H. Ray Evans was raised a Master Mason in Queen City Lodge No. 559 in 1971 and served as Worshipful Master in 1975. Ray has a great love and admiration for all appendant and concordant bodies of Freemasonry, especially the Valley of Cincinnati, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. He joined the Scottish Rite in the fall of 1971 as a member of the Robert J. Brown. 33° Class, He was appointed an officer in Dalcho Council, Princes of Jerusalem in 1975 and was elected Sovereign Prince in May 1985. On October 1,1985, he was elected to his present position as Executive Secretary of the Valley of Cincinnati. He also holds membership in the other three coordinate bodies of the Valley of Cincinnati: Gibulum Lodge of Perfection, Cincinnati Chapter of Rose Croix and Ohio Consistory.
In recognition of his notable contributions to God, country and humanity, Brother Evans was created a Sovereign Grand Inspector General, 33°, Honorary Member of the Supreme Council on September 30, 1987, in Boston, Massachusetts.
In York Rite Masonry, Brother Evans was exalted in Mariemont Chapter No. 234, Royal Arch Masons, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1971; greeted in Henry A. Weeks Council No. 134, in 1971; and knighted in Trinity Commandery No. 44, Knights Templar, in 1973.
Brother Evans also holds membership in Syrian Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; St. Columba Conclave, Red Cross of Constantine; Tall Cedars of Lebanon, Cincinnati Forest No. 171; Society of Past Masters; Middletown Chapter No. 34, Order of Amaranth; and Winton Chapter No. 389, Order of Eastern Star. In July 1985, Brother Evans received the highest honor granted by the Order of DeMolay, the Honorary Legion of Honor.
Brother Evans served as President of the 1st Masonic District Officers Association in 1980-1981 and was chosen Ohio Master Mason of the Year in 1981. He was appointed a District Deputy Grand Master in the 1st Masonic District for the years 1983-1984-1985.
In 1985, Most Worshipful Brother Hilmer W. Neumann appointed H. Ray Evans Junior Grand Deacon of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio. He was subsequently appointed Senior Grand Deacon in 1986, Grand Marshal in 1987 and Grand Orator in 1988. He was elected Junior Grand Warden in 1989, Senior Grand Warden in 1990 and Deputy Grand Master in 1991. At the 183rd Annual Communication held in Columbus on October 16 & 17, 1992, Brother Evans was elected and installed as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio.
M. W. Brother Evans resides in Cincinnati, Ohio.